Saturday, June 22, 2013

Ashlyn --ADOPTED!!!!!!!!

Ashlyn is yet another reason to fall in love with black labs -- as if there weren't already enough reasons! She has so many of the great doggie characteristics that you would want in a dog. Let me tell you about a few of them.

Look at those gorgeous eyes, floppy ears, and silly smile :-).

First, she's very loving. She loves having her head scratched, and two of my favourite things about scratching her head are:

  1. She squints her eyes to show how much she enjoys it!!!
  2. She's quite soft and feels awesome to pet!!!
I've always found labs to be incredibly loyal and loving and she definitely seems to have these traits. It's clear she loves her time around humans regardless of what you are doing together.

Hey there, cutie.

Another thing I love about Ashlyn is her energy. She's very energetic, but not too over the top. Some dogs have no idea what to do with all their energy and they jump a lot, spin circles etc...but Ashlyn has a fun kind of energy that she knows how to channel. 

Yay running!!!

She LOVES her toys -- any toys really. She loves big orange plastic balls. She loves Kongs. She loves tennis balls. She loves any toy you are holding and want to throw! In fact, she loves toys sooo much that often in the middle of carrying back one toy that I've thrown, she will find another and come to the doggie dilema of: "Which toy do I want more?!" 

"My favourite toy. Except for the other ball. And the Kong. And the stuffed toy. And ALL toys!!!"

Ashlyn does well on her leash, and even though she definitely has the capability to pull me off my feet, she kindly did not do such a thing. She tends to like to walk with her human, unless she sees something exciting, in which case she likes to start to run after it. However, I found that only one correction was all that was needed before she remembered that I was there and she wanted to walk with me! Based on these sorts of things, I think she will be highly trainable.

"I'm training humans to give me treats when I sit. It's working!"

Speaking of trainable, she has a VERY nice sit as you can see from the picture. She is very food motivated and just loved showing me how good she was at sitting for hot dogs! In fact, its hard to get her not to sit when I sat down on the bench -- even when I didn't have the hot dog out. She just sat down, and looked at me expectantly. Somehow I got the feeling she was the one training me :-). Clever girl!

"Come meet me in Kennel 44! I will be so happy to see you!"
Such a beautiful girl!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment